Old July 14th 03, 06:31 PM
Tony Vinci

Default What Sat's did I see???

"William R. Thompson" wrote in message ...
Tony Vinci wrote:

Just a closing note: they did happen to be on a path
that would have taken them from approximately the location of the
"INfamous" Area 51 that is just a little NW of my location.
DISCLAIMER: That last comment, although true, was thrown in for humorous
purposes only!

Okay, you won't be investigated for mentioning Area 51, which in
fact is a supersecret government facility which specializes in hiding
countless tons of desert sand.

I am now fascinated about these and would like to perhaps learn more
about them. Is there no way to have prediction information available for
future sightings.

Yes; go to

http://www.heavens-above.com/

and click on the "Select" a satellite line.

When the pages gives you the four boxes, type noss 2% in
the box for the name of a satellite. This will return a list
of the NOSS satellites. The triplets are NOSS 2-1, 2-2 and 2-3.

--Bill Thompson

I did as directed. I looked up the NOSS satellites and lo and behold.....
it seems that NOSS 2-3 (C),(D),and (E) transit times and headings
match exactly with what I witnessed. Even though it was a little hazy
and scattered clouds tonight (13th / 14th) I was able to log 10 separate
satellite sightings (NOSS group counted as only 1). My last one just a
few minutes ago was Cosmos 1356 at 0430. My location is Las Vegas, Nevada
Lat N36.2 Lon W115.0. Although this city throws up a great amount of
light pollution I live about 5 mi E of city center and about 800 ft higher
than the valley floor and the skies from NW to SSW are fairly dark.
Thanks for the info. That "Heavens-Above" site is a big help.
Keep-looking-up!
Tony
P.S. I have been out to Area 51, at least as close as can be attained
legally. 14 miles of straight dirt road across a flat to the base of some
hills. This is where the signs, sensors, and TV cameras begin. And YES
there is a truck with 2 armed gentlemen sitting on a small hill about
100 yds away watching with binoculars. I waved at the one watching me
but he did not respond (no sense of humor I guess). However, I DID NOT
go beyond the signs. Looked around, took some quick pictures as souveniers
and left.