Old January 1st 11, 11:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_95_]

Default Diffraction Limiting a Mk I Eyeball

In sci.astro.amateur message ,
Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:05:43, N_Cook posted:

An umbrella and nightime streetlamp is inexpensive for diffraction pattern.

Try some equivalent of an old-fashioned metal foil milk-bottle top,
pierced with the smallest closest holes you can do by hand with a fine
sewing needle, then using the foil as a monocle to inspect a distant LP
sodium lamp. The effect is not as pretty as from a CD, but it's
definitely there. The millimetre scale of a plastic ruler, at grazing
incidence, will also show an effect.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, and links.