Old December 31st 10, 02:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Androcles[_38_]

Default Diffraction Limiting a Mk I Eyeball

"N_Cook" wrote in message
| Martin Brown wrote in message
| I was doing a Christmas lecture earlier in the the week on "Light and
| Colour". I had an unexpectedly strong positive audience reaction from a
| very simple and cheap demonstration using 0.1-0.2mm diameter pinholes
| in aluminium foil held to the eye. Materials are so cheap and prep so
| easy that everyone can see this with their own eyes. And it is far more
| convincing to them than any number of fancy laser based demos!
|
| This is roughly equivalent to having a pupil stopped down to 1/10 or
| 1/20th of the normal 2mm daylight size and is small enough to give a
| very clear stable Airy disk on point sources like Christmas tree lights
| whilst still retaining colour vision. The bullseye appearance of point
| sources came as a big surprise to those without a science background.
| Edges are obviously soft and bright areas surrounded by a darker halo.
|
| The main light source was a desktop quartz halogen with foil hung over
| the front and a 2mm hole in line with the bulb filament. This gave very
| pleasing views of the diffraction pattern of the pinhole. But it was the
| coloured Christmas lights that people found most striking.
|
| And by swapping pinholes (which were of somewhat variable size) with
| their neighbours the audience quickly realised for themselves that the
| smallest pinholes had the biggest and faintest diffraction patterns.
|
| It also increases depth of field allowing very fine print to be read
| with relative ease when held suitably close to the eye. I discovered in
| the process that a few young children in the audience with otherwise
| normal vision could read 2pt text with the unaided eye!
|
| I hope this is of use to others in showing convincing diffraction
| effects to a lay audience using minimal cheap hardware.
|
| NB the real Royal Institution Christmas science lectures are titled
| "Size Matters" and are being televised on BBC4 at 8pm this week.
|
| Regards,
| Martin Brown
|

| An umbrella and nightime streetlamp is inexpensive for diffraction
pattern.

Take an ordinary CD or DVD and hold it horizontally, the rim touching
your cheek just below your eye. Now look at a street light, in the CD.

I took this image of a fluorescent lamp using a web cam.
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde...pDVDWebCam.JPG