Old May 13th 04, 02:43 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Dave Michelson" wrote in message
news:vLAoc.459120$oR5.11719@pd7tw3no...
If subordinates sense that their superior feels that certain things are
important, they'll usually follow through.

If subordinates are ignored or, worse, get mixed or even garbled messages,
then bad things usually happen.

That's the cost of power. The trial scene in Star Trek 6 hit it right on the
head. Kirk was responsible for events he couldn't possible have known about
precisely because he was the captain.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition

dies,
I think the soul of America dies with it."

- Edward R. Murrow

I recall reading a science fiction story- the details of which, like the
name, I can't remember now- in which the "loyal opposition" was created by
the authoritiarian regime to give the illusion of dissent. The "opposition"
didn't even know it was a puppet.