Old November 19th 03, 07:45 PM
Kilolani

Default Decided to stop buying telescopes?

Here's the challenge... the other day I was observing the Crescent Nebula
(NGC 6888) in my 12.5" Dob. Then I casually carried my eyepiece with it's
OIII filter over to my friend's 18" Dob (okay, okay... so he had to buy a
van to tranport it). The view was breathtaking. I went back to my scope...
it seemed I could barely see it at all after the view in the 18".

Even though I can't afford one (not to mention the van), after this
experience I could never call the guy with the 18" a "dummy."

"Elliott Rosselet" wrote in message
om...
Hello, this is my first foray into s.a.a., so my question may seem a
bit strange. I've got a 10" Dob from Hardin, and recently had an
attack of Aperture Fever. Then I read some postings on s.a.a. that
said an 8 or 10" can keep you humming for many years, probably a
lifetime.

So, I'm almost at a point now where (heaven forbid!) whenever I hear
about a StarMaster or a TScope or (fill in the blank), I say -- "you
already have a big scope, dummy!".

Anyone else come to this conclusion?

Actually, part of the reason for this is I got the DSH-10 when it was
$395, and I don't want to ever sell it. Also, FWIW, I've got an ST80,
an Orion 90mm f/10 and an Orion 120mm f/8.3 Astroview, but
collectively have spent less than $1500 for all 4 combined.

Elliott