Old October 17th 09, 01:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Never mind the Phobos-Grunt, we're the Venera-D

Pat Flannery wrote:
One of the upper stages on the current Proton to put satellites into GEO
got stated as the descent stage of the type of lunar lander that put
Lunokhod onto the Moon's surface and IIRC, some stage related to the
canceled LK manned Moon lander is out there also.

Let me correct that; the Soyuz satellite launcher variant is the one
with the unmanned lunar lander-derived engine (Fregat).
I think Proton is the one that carries the LK-derived stage.

Pat