Old January 24th 18, 08:21 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

Default In Five Billion Years when the Sun goes Red Giant

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 2:00:02 PM Bast wrote:
Mark Earnest wrote:
I bet that when the Sun goes red giant it will not harm Earth at all.
As the Sun loses mass the orbit of Earth will slowly spiral further
away from the Sun and we will be safe. No need to migrate to the
Cosmos. But the dark huge red Sun will look cool!

The sun will not lose mass initially . Same mass, just .less dense.
A ton of feathers falling on you will kill you just as dead as being hit by
a ton of iron
But it's surface will be closer, so the pull will be greater.
And as it begins to shed the outside layers, that superheated plasma will
cook everything it passes
.
However I'm not worried.
I have months of food in storage

The Sun is always losing mass as it uses up its fuel supply. Earth has not noticed it yet because the Sun has not yet lost enough mass to overcome its binding to the dark matter groove holding it to its orbit.

Just wait you will see. We will all be safe.