Old May 5th 17, 08:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default A view of the tides in 1666

In a way the view of Wallace in respect to the empirical search of a cause for biological evolution morphed into Darwin's view and I have seen the former's view proposed as the latter via a shared perspective of the hapless Malthus. In a similar manner I saw the view of Wallis morph into Newton's ideological agenda of trying to fit astronomy into experimental sciences where it remains for the theorists and their followers.

http://rstl.royalsocietypublishing.o....full.pdf+html

Although that letter wasn't wrote for public consumption it does contain many issues which make for an enjoyable read but of course things went sideways after that with the emergence of an aggressive strain of empiricism which pointedly omitted any electromagnetic component in the relationship between celestial objects. Cutting off their nose to spite their face, the current batch of empirical followers are lost in a labyrinth of a making that is not their own .

The answer is simple - start from scratch but that would take admirable human traits like courage,intelligence and a spirited endeavor to open up the perceptual windows to the fresh air of contemporary imaging and data. These traits I haven't seen in this forum as a snapshot of the wider community so easier to just forge ahead on my own.