Old September 18th 03, 07:53 PM
greywolf42

Default Ned Wright's TBBNH Page (C)

Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote in message
greywolf42 wrote:

Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote in message
greywolf42 wrote:

Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote in

message
greywolf42 wrote:

[snip]

Since Lerner did not identify what value he used for
'interesting mass,'
the claim that his math was wrong is spurious.

Well, it's rather clear (if one knows a bit about cosmology)
what an
"interesting mass" would be (several eV will do it). Hence the
fact that
Lerner doesn't give a specific value is rather irrelevant.

It wasn't "clear" at all, in 1991. See report below.

I read the report below and explained that it doesn't support
your point
- it only talks about *electron* neutrinos.

Electron neutrinos are the masses we are discussing.

We are discussing if 1991 it was known if neutrinos have an
"cosmologically interesting" mass. Not only electron neutrinos. *All*
neutrinos.

Kamiokande only detects electron neutrinos.

Right - and therefore, as Wright and me correctly point out, Kamiokande
couldn't have rule out "cosmologically interesting" masses for the other
two neutrinos.

And -- as you have admitted before -- there was no reason in 1991 (either
theoretical or experimental) to expect that mu and tau neutrinos were
fundamentally more massive (or more 'interesting') than electron neutrinos.

There is still no basis for claiming that Lerner's "math is
wrong." As Lerner gave no math.

As I explained, if one takes reasonable values (and I explained
(*why* the numbers are reasonable)

No, you did not. You merely repeated the claim.

That's a lie. I gave you the formula with which one determines if a
neutrino mass is cosmologically interesting or not (neutrino mass/92
eV/c^2). Using the formula, it turns out that 5eV/c^2 (the number Wright
used) *is* a reasonable value.

It is not a lie. You did not state why this equation that you pulled out of
thin air gave you an 'interesting' mass. Nor did you indicate that this
equation was derived or accepted prior to 1991.

and puts them in, one sees that Lerner was
wrong. Hence there are only two choices, IMO:
1) Lerner didn't do any math and made the whole thing up.
2) Lerner did some math and screwed it up.
Ned Wright and me are only generous and assume that it was (2),
not (1).

Ah, the refuge of the true believer. The fallacy of the excluded
middle, combined with a straw man.

Care to come up with other possibilities, instead of simply asserting
that there are others?

Already given. And since you snipped them, I'll let you go hunting through
prior threads.

[snip]

They appear to travel at the speed of
light, so must have no mass.

This argument doesn't make much sense. They *appear* to travel
at the
speed of light, so *must* have no mass? What a great logic!

Well, yeah... if the 'appearance' is the result of an
experimental measurement. Can you say 'arbitrarily close
to?'

No experiment can ever measure "arbitrarily close to", so this
makes no sense at all.

Bingo! Claiming evidence of mass when all we have is upper
bounds is indeed senseless.

What on earth are you talking about??? No one claimed that in 1991, we
had evidence of mass; the only thing which was said is that with the
numbers available in 1991 (for which I gave references!), a
cosmoligically interesting mass could not be ruled out - contrary to
Lerner's assertion.

You contradict the reference I gave (1993, Lindley). And you continue to
refuse to provide references of your own.

Hint: we know today that neutrinos *have* mass,

No, we see a discrepancy in theory.

Pardon??? What on earth are you talking about???

Neutrino oscillations are clear evidence for neutrino masses. So where
is "a discrepancy in theory"???

Neutrino 'oscillations'. They are postulated to explain a discrepancy
between theory and observation.

And we interpret this as 'evidence of mass.'

Do you have another explanation for neutrino oscillations which fits all
of the data?

Neutrino oscillations ARE a theoretical explanation. Not data.

However, this is still irrelevant to knowledge in 1991.

I never claimed that it were relevant.

Then don't waste everyone's time with irrelevant things.

hence that they *don't* travel at the speed of light.

Too bad that's what experiments show.

The experiments show that they travel *approximately* at the speed of
light. No experiment can ever show that they travel *exactly* at the
speed of light. Hence the experiments which measure the velocities of
neutrinos couldn't rule out a neutrino mass ever.

They are the speed of light to at least 13 decimal places. As good as many
of the best precisions in physics (and higher than that if you consider the
inherent size of the supernova neutrino production burst).

Therefore, obviously, the experiments
which showed that they travel *approximately* at the speed of
light
weren't sensitive enough - and every experimental physicist
should have known that even back then!

ROTFLMAO! Rewrite the histories and the experiments, boys!

Where on earth is your problem???

The supernova observations only showed that the mass of the electron
neutrino must be smaller than 23eV/c^2. This obviously doesn't rule out
a neutrino mass!

What neutrino pulse width did you use to come up with that number? (I note
you continue to evade giving actual references for your numbers.)

We've found a
discrepancy in our theory, so experiment must be in error.

What discrepancy are you talking about???

And where did I say that an experiment is in error? I only pointed out
that it wasn't *sensitive* enough!

Neutrino oscillations point to neutrino masses around 10^(-3) eV/c^2;
that the supernova measurements weren't sensitive enough to detect such
a mass is a simple fact -

So the accepted neutrino masses are a factor of 10,000 too small to be
'cosmologically interesting.' Why are you spending all that time arguing
about 'smaller than 23 eV' if you know the answer is 10,000 times smaller?

try reading the original papers! (see my references)

*WHAT* references? *WHAT* original papers? I've been asking you to provide
these for several rounds.

Additionally, there are theories which predict not only the
"light"
neutrinos we know, but additional neutrinos which are much
more heavy. Try reading up on "see-saw" mechanism.

No. Please stick to the issue.

Err, the issue is if the experiments back then were able to
rule out
heavy neutrinos or not. The "see-saw" mechanisms is another
point that
the experiments could *not* have rule this out. Hence this *is*
the issue.

Which leads us right back to that original issue, 'how heavy is heavy?'

This wasn't the original issue. The original issue was "Were the
supernova measurements sensitive enough to rule out a cosmologically
interesting neutrino mass?", and the answer to this is no - see my