Old September 12th 03, 11:23 AM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Default Ned Wright's TBBNH Page (C)

I've digged up some references.

First:
G.G.Raffelt, What have We Learned from SN 1987A?, Modern Physics Letters
A, vol.5, no.31, 20 Dec. 1990 p.2581-92.
(notice that this is a review article; what is told in it wasn't known
only at the end of 1990, but already earlier - e.g., a reference is
given to a paper by Loredo and Lamb from 1989).
This article gives the limit of the mass of the *electron* neutrino
obtained from the observation of the supernova (eq. 9):
m_{\nu_e} 23 eV (at 95% confidence level).

Second:
E.W.Kolb, M.S.Turner, The early universe, Frontiers in Physics,
Addison-Wesley (1990). This is a well-known book on cosmology by two
famous cosmologists; it summarizes what was known on cosmology back then
and hence includes lots of things which were already long known at that
time. Equation (5.33) is the interesting one in that book:
\Omega_{\nu} h^2 = m_{\nu}/91.5 eV
(hey, the 92 eV which I remembered where quite accurate!).
I don't know exactly what value of h was available back then, but let's
use the (quite high and therefore favourable for you!) value of h = 0.8.
Then we get:
\Omega_{\nu} = m_{\nu}/58.56 eV.

Putting these two things together (which both were known *BEFORE* 1991,
when Lerner published his book!), we get:
\Omega_{\nu} 0.39.
Obviously, a value of 0.39 *IS* quite significant cosmologically!

Hence, contrary to Lerner's claims, the supernova observations did *not*
rule out a mass for the neutrino which would have been cosmologically
relevant. Lerner is wrong there, live with it.
(and please stop whining about the other report you quoted - the *only*
thing I wanted to discuss is if Lerner's claim, that the supernova
observations ruled out a cosmologically interesting electron mass, was
right!)

And again, please notice that this (and the other report you quoted)
only applies to the electron neutrino - *much* less was known about the
other neutrinos masses back then. IIRC, the mass bound for the mu
neutrino was something like 25 keV, and the mass bound for the tau
neutrino was somewhere in the MeV range!

Bye,
Bjoern