Old March 26th 04, 04:34 PM

Default Daily 3578

DAILY REPORT # 3578

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 85

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS 9475

ACS coronagraphic survey for debris disks around nearby stars

We propose a comprehensive imaging survey of nearby stars that will
realize the full potential of the ACS coronagraph to map debris disks,
the extrasolar analogs of our Kuiper Belt. Most debris disks are
detected only by excess thermal emission at far-infrared wavelengths.
Because they have a factor of 100 less dust cross section than the
young debris disks around HR 4796A and beta Pic, they are undetectable
by present techniques. In simulations of disk detectability, Kalas and
Jewitt {1996} determined that detecting the scattered light from the
disk requires at least two orders of magnitude of suppression of the
central PSF than is attainable from the ground. The ACS coronagraph
finally provides this increase in sensitivity, surpassing the WFPC2
sensitivity to faint nebulosity near bright stars by at least three
orders of magnitude. Mapping the debris around stars is particularly
important for the indirect detection of planet-mass objects. Dynamical
models have shown that unseen perturbers dynamically modify the
radial, azimuthal and vertical structure of debris disks. These data
will provide the critical high-resolution mapping of debris disks.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10059

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

ACS/HRC/WFC 9796

Observations of Intermediate Mass Black Hole Candidate Ultra-Luminous
X-ray Sources

Ultra-luminous X-ray {ULX} sources are off-nuclear point sources in
nearby normal galaxies. Variability observed on the timescale of days,
weeks, and years signals that ULXS are accreting sources, likely
harboring black holes. However, the observed X-ray luminosity of these
systems far exceeds the Eddington limit for a 10 Msun black hole; some
ULXs may be intermediate mass black holes. The identification and
study of optical counterparts with HST will be central to better
understanding these objects. We propose to obtain deep U-B-V-I
exposures of 4 extremely bright ULXs in nearby spirals: NGC 1313 X-1
and X-2, M81 X-9 {Holmberg II X-1}, and M74 X-1. Each has a 0.5''
Chandra position, and X-ray luminosity and spectral characteristics
consistent with expectations for intermediate mass black holes. We
will use the colors we obtain, the magnitudes we measure, and any
source variability {also, correlated optical-X-ray variability from
simultaneous Chandra snapshots} to constrain the nature of the donor
stars and the black holes {10 Msun or 100-1000 Msun}, and the
formation and evolution scenarios for each system.

ACS/WFPC2 9488

Cosmic Shear - with ACS Pure Parallel Observations

The ACS, with greater sensitivity and sky coverage, will extend our
ability to measure the weak gravitational lensing of galaxy images
caused by the large scale distribution of dark matter. We propose to
use the ACS in pure parallel {non- proprietary} mode, following the
guidelines of the ACS Default Pure Parallel Program. Using the HST
Medium Deep Survey WFPC2 database we have measured cosmic shear at
arc-min angular scales. The MDS image parameters, in particular the
galaxy orientations and axis ratios, are such that any residual
corrections due to errors in the PSF or jitter are much smaller than
the measured signal. This situation is in stark contrast with
ground-based observations. We have also developed a statistical
analysis procedure to derive unbiased estimates of cosmic shear from a
large number of fields, each of which has a very small number of
galaxies. We have therefore set the stage for measurements with the
ACS at fainter apparent magnitudes and smaller, 10 arc-second scales
corresponding to larger cosmological distances. We will adapt existing
MDS WFPC2 maximum likelihood galaxy image analysis algorithms to work
with the ACS. The analysis would also yield an online database similar
to that in archive.stsci.edu/mds/

NIC/NIC3 9865

The NICMOS Parallel Observing Program

We propose to continue managing the NICMOS pure parallel program.
Based on our experience, we are well prepared to make optimal use of
the parallel opportunities. The improved sensitivity and efficiency of
our observations will substantially increase the number of
line-emitting galaxies detected. As our previous work has
demonstrated, the most frequently detected line is Halpha at
0.7z1.9, which provides an excellent measure of current star
formation rate. We will also detect star-forming and active galaxies
in other redshift ranges using other emission lines. The grism
observations will produce by far the best available Halpha luminosity
functions over the crucial--but poorly observed--redshift range where
galaxies appear to have assembled most of their stellar mass. This key
process of galaxy evolution needs to be studied with IR data; we found
that observations at shorter wavelengths appear to have missed a large
fraction of the star-formation in galaxies, due to dust reddening. We
will also obtain deep F110W and F160W images, to examine the space
densities and morphologies of faint red galaxies. In addition to
carrying out the public parallels, we will make the fully reduced and
calibrated images and spectra available on-line, with some
ground-based data for the deepest parallel fields included.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8792

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 3

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

STIS 9633

STIS parallel archive proposal - Nearby Galaxies - Imaging and
Spectroscopy

Using parallel opportunities with STIS which were not allocated by the
TAC, we propose to obtain deep STIS imagery with both the Clear
{50CCD} and Long-Pass {F28X50LP} filters in order to make
color-magnitude diagrams and luminosity functions for nearby galaxies.
For local group galaxies, we also include G750L slitless spectroscopy
to search for e.g., Carbon stars, late M giants and S-type stars. This
survey will be useful to study the star formation histories, chemical
evolution, and distances to these galaxies. These data will be placed
immediately into the Hubble Data Archive.

STIS/CCD 10018

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 10020

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 10085

STIS Pure Parallel Imaging Program: Cycle 12

This is the default archival pure parallel program for STIS during
cycle 12.

WFPC2 10070

WFPC2 CYCLE 12 Supplemental Darks Part 2/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

WFPC2 10084

WFII parallel archive proposal

This is the generic target version of the WFPC2 Archival Pure Parallel
program. The program will be used to take parallel images of random
areas of the sky, following the recommendations of the 2002 Parallels
Working Group.

WFPC2 10090

WFII backup parallel archive proposal

This is a POMS test proposal designed to simulate scientific plans.

WFPC2/ACS 9601

WFPC2-ACS Photometric Cross-Calibration

This proposal is aimed at providing photometric zeropoint
cross-calibration between the commonly used WFPC2 photometric filter
sets and those that will be used for ACS programs. The proposal
includes observations of globular clusters spanning a wide range in
metallicity, including NGC 2419 and 47 Tuc. In addition, we will
obtain WFPC2 observations of the primary ACS standard star. This
program will produce a valuable tie-in between the WFPC2, ACS and
Sloan filter photometric systems.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.) None

COMPLETED OPS REQs: None

OPS NOTES EXECUTED: None

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL FAILURE TIMES
FGS GSacq 9 9
FGS REacq 6 6
FHST Update 20 20
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Battery Reconditioning Macro Ops Acceptance Test scheduled 086/11:00Z
- 087/05:00Z with GDOC, HITT, SE, and VEST using CCS "D" String
(prime) with CCS Release 5.0.3.1 and PRD O06300ST and CCS "C" String
(secondary) with CCS Release 4.0.3.1 and PRD O06300T. The purpose of
this testing is to verify installation and backout procedures for the
Battery Reconditioning macro work in an operational scenario.

Command Timing test scheduled 086/12:00Z - 22:00Z with GDOC, SOC,
HITT, and CCS using CCS "H" String with CCS Release 5.0.3.1 and PRD
O06300ST. The purpose of this testing is to check the command timing
for CCS Release 5.0.3.1 with historical, baselined numbers for
standard configuration with S-Channel data and other loads.