Old August 13th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.org.mensa,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Brad Guth[_2_]

Default Our moon is hot, Venus is not

"Wayne Throop" wrote in message

How about just one claim that struck my curiosity.
You recently mentioned that "the moon is dark". How do you establish
that, since I can look up in the sky and see that it is not dark. Indeed,
to photograph the moon from here, and see any of its features, I found I
needed to use basic daylight exposure. F16 at one over the film speed,
more or less approximately.

Obviously you can't hardly read, and you obviously don't quite
understand about reflected light, nor can your PC bother to taking a
look at the moon and Jupiter as being in the same frame, and obviously
you wouldn't dare to look at those NASA/Apollo official images of our
deep sooty brownish moon with Earth in the same image.
http://www.equatorialplatforms.com/moon.saturn.jpg

So, what you mean "dark", kemosabe? How dark, how do you know,
and why didn't my camera know? I'm pretty sure NASA
hasn't been jiggering the settings on my camera.

The moon is roughly 0.072 albedo, which is relatively open coal pit
dark.

I don't intend to contradict you, I'm just curious.
Referencing a specific old posting where you explained it before is fine.
By either message ID or google URL would be most convenient.

Search for images of moon and Jupiter, or moon and Mars, or moon and
Venus, and so forth. Or, go into most any one of the official archives
of NASA/Apollo and go fish.
Go here if you would you like to see a few of those better examples:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollo/catalog/70mm/

Similarly, to folks in general, has anybody used an IR meter to judge
moon surface temperatures from here, personally? Is it doable with
off-the-shelf equipment? Especially if it's possible to track
dayside/nightside differences. Just wondering, you understand folks.

At certain IR spectrums, the moon reflects such IR upon average at
roughly 0.33 or 33%. At far IR, I believe it gets better than 0.5 or
50% reflective.

I also wonder how NASA spoofed the folks in Australia that picked up the
transmissions from the moon directly.

Think "chapel bell" S-band transponders. It works every time for me.

I'm still thinking that we had managed to turn our Apollo crews around
within the LL-1 zone, which is still testy and potentially lethal unless
having only spent a few hours that close to our gamma and hard-X-ray
moon.

But I do still wonder why I should not believe the evidence of my own
eyes.

Up until 7 years ago, I too was every bit as snookered and/or
dumbfounded into believing in all of that NASA/Apollo crapolla. Welcome
to my village idiot club.
-
Brad Guth