Old August 14th 03, 12:04 AM
Fred Williams

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Building a base on Mars might not be as practical,as building a
base on Mars moon that circles Mars every 8 hours. We are not going
to find drinking water on Mars surface. On its surface its dust
storms could be a great hazard it they blow at 125mph. My thought is
we can live easier
on that low orbiting moon,and see much more of Mars In
about 223,000 years we will hollow our this moon,and make a huge
spaceship out of it to travel to the Oort belt,and refuel there and
go on to Alfa
Certuri. Bert

Hi Bert,
223,000 years? I hope that's a misprint. Mars should have been
settled, exploited, wasted and forgotten by then.(:-)) Or maybe
NASA will have more budget delays.
Hollowing out Phobos & Deimos would provide a hard shell for a space
station, but what do we do for gravity?,... tie the two together and
spin them? Then there's not much there in the way of resources.
Everything has to be freighted in at great expense.
Still it might provide good sheilding from... solar flares?? I'm not
sure about that. Perhaps someone who's knowledge is more current can
fill that in.

--
Regards
Fred