Old November 25th 14, 08:41 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Robert L. Oldershaw

Default Possible New Double-Pulsar With Low Mass Errors

On Friday, November 21, 2014 5:36:43 AM UTC-5, Craig Markwardt wrote:
Comparing M(total,observed) = 1.99158 x 10^33 g with
M(total,predicted) = 1.99184 x 10^33 g, how would you evaluate the
agreement between the observed and predicted mass values?

a) I would evaluate it with a real statistical test, using reported
measurement uncertainties.

b) I would evaluate it on the basis that the "predicted" mass should
be a multiple of 0.145 Msun, which it is not. (1.0014 Msun / 0.145) =
6.91.

There is a mistake in your calculation. The error is that you assume
that the first approximation heuristic: (n=7)(0.145 solar mass), is
sufficient for the calculation of a second, i.e., more refined,
approximation. This is not true.

If you study the page on my website that I specifically directed
people to, then you will see how to do the second approximation
calculation correctly and why the theory demands this, and always has.
When you understand what the theory actually predicts, then we can
discuss the comparison between predicted and observed total masses. I
think they are indistinguishable, given a realistic assessment of all
relevant uncertainties.

[Mod. note: reformatted. This newsgroup is not the place for
discussion of the details of this fringe theory, so I guess this
should end here -- mjh]