Old November 17th 18, 11:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX gets FCC approval to deploy thousands more internet satellites

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

"SpaceX's plan to build a global, high-speed wireless internet network using
satellites has taken another step forward. The FCC approved the company's request
to deploy more than 7,000 very-low-Earth orbit satellites for its Starlink
network. It follows the regulator giving SpaceX the green light in March to launch
4,425 satellites.

When it's complete, Starlink will be comprised of almost 12,000 satellites that
will blanket the planet with a persistent internet connection. That should mean
people in rural areas or other locations where more traditional types of
connections are impractical can access a network with promised speeds of up to 1
Gbps."

See:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/15/...et-satellites/

That's a lot of satellites!

That's why they need to incorporate as much reuse as possible into
Falcon. Still working on fairing recovery.

Update on Twitter from Elon today. SpaceX will not make the upper stage
of Falcon reusable. Concentrating on BFR/BFS.

Speaking of BFR/BFS, apparently they've iterated the design again. No
details as of yet, of course. It will be interesting to see if the
upper stage test next year incorporates these latest changes (whatever
they are).

Jeff