Old January 6th 04, 03:25 AM
Scott Ferrin

Default PBS's "Nova" and MER

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 02:03:52 GMT, (Derek
Lyons) wrote:

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Maybe you could explain to us why they need the "levelest and flatest
floor in the world" just to line up the friggin' boosters on the Delta
IV. Hell the sections of a drive shaft on a Nimitz class carrier need
to be lined up just as well and they use a CRANE in a shipyard.

Well, you are utterly and completely *wrong*.

The crane is used to install the segments into the hull. Once in the
hull all of the bearings have adjustments to align and center the
drive shaft, and lasers and micrometers are used to ensure that the
alignment is spot-on perfect.

D.

Even if that is the case (it's been a while since I saw the show about
the construction of the Truman but I'd have sworn they were outdoors
when they bolted the sections together) that is still a far cry from
"the levelest and flattest floor in the world".