Old March 21st 07, 12:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: First light tests, Baader 7nm Halpha filter (50.8mm)

Richard,

good to see that the Baader filter works as well as it looks from your
images. I should really get myself one of them, they are quite cheap here in
germany (a nice change from the stuff that is made in the US, which is sold
here for twice the money it costs in the US).

Stefan

"Richard Crisp" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
et...
I recently got a chance to use my new 50.8mm Baader Planetarium 7nm
Ha filter. It works great and what a deal at about $325 based on
current exchange rates.

I shot two images with it on Thursday night last week in so so
seeing: one of The Crab (4 x 30 minutes) and one of M82 ( 5 x 30
minutes). All were shot with the home built 18" f/12.6 classical cass
on the Ca 2000 AP1200GTO using the CM10 camera with focal reducer
(F=3366mm approx).

Next tests will be on the AP180EDT refractor, but I have a few more
long focal length targets to use them with for now.

I really like the initial results. The images aren't so amazing in
terms of sharpness, hard to do that in 4+" seeing, but the filters
work really well, especially for the money.

As I understand it they have dual cavity construction which provides
a higher "Q" that single cavity/colored glass designs. But they are
priced very attractively, presumably because Baader makes them in-
house.

Anyway, I am jazzed to see such a nice product for such a low price.
As I understand it they will be producing 50MM square ones too for
the new big format sensors and I was told they would also be priced
aggressively, but I am not sure of the price.

Here are the images:

my favorite of the two, M82
http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m82...er_ha_page.htm

Crab: