Old November 1st 05, 04:42 AM
DRLunsford

Default Conjecture on Baez's 'Quasar without a host galaxy'

Ulf Torkelsson wrote:

This begs the question where the quasars find the material to make
galaxies. Are we to postulate that they create that material on their
own out of nothing?

The larger galaxies are older in this theory and we
do find support for this from the fact that the larger members of
clusters generally are slightly bluer than the average member.

This is a highly contentious statement for several reasons. Firstly
it is patently wrong to claim that older galaxies are bluer than
younger galaxies. Young galaxies are blue because they contain plenty
of hot massive stars with short life times, while these stars are absent
from older galaxies, which are therefore redder.

etc. etc.

The details and mechanism of the ejection are not yet important here
(and I think the models proposed are wrong, although Narlikar's C field
is an interesting theory), only the hypothesis of association of
galaxies and quasars of disparate redshift, and the theories will wait
on the statistical evidence, if only the problem would be studied in
earnest. A cursory glance at Arp's catalog will convince you that we
are barely off square one.

-drl