Old October 28th 05, 06:25 AM
Ray Tomes

Default Conjecture on Baez's 'Quasar without a host galaxy'

Ulf Torkelsson wrote:
There are severe problems with this explanation. Firstly if the
quasars are actually ejected from galaxies, then we would expect to see
some blue-shifted quasars, or at least we should be able to see
galaxy-quasar pairs in which the quasar has a smaller redshift than the
galaxy, but such pairs are not observed.

No we wouldn't. The reason is that in this hypothesis of Narlikar and
Arp, newly created matter that exists in quasars at the time of ejection
has much lower energy, mass and frequencies than normal matter, i.e all
spectral lines are moved considerably to the red. This variation may be
a factor of 3 or more and so far exceeds any velocity component which is
likely to be less than a .01 variation in z.

As the quasar ages it comes into contact with surrounding matter (at the
speed of light interactions) and this brings its matter into line with
that surrounding matter. This appears to happen in a series of discrete
jump in redshift ultimately becoming very close to galaxy redshifts.

Arp has found cases where quasar pairs are found along opposite axes of
large spirals and might have relative redshifts of e.g. 1.3 and 0.3 with
the pairs having extremely similar values to each other.

Secondly, in the last 25 years a number of gravitational lenses have
been observed. The classical kind of a gravitational lens consists of a
galaxy that is lensing the light from a distant quasar, such that we see
several images of the quasar surrounding the galaxy. We always find in
these lenses that the redshift of the quasar is significantly larger
than that of the galaxy, which is in complete accord with that the
redshift is a good estimator of the distance to both the galaxy and the
quasar.

For the above reason that the "internal" frequency is always a redshift,
quasars will always have an equal or higher redshift than a galaxy at
the same distance. To distinguish between the theories you need to find
instances of quasars making gravitational lenses of galaxies. If Arp and
Narlikar are right then there could be cases of quasars lensing galaxies
with lower redshifts.

The idea that all quasars are new galaxies is supported by Arp and
Narlikar, except that the quasar ages are much less than is generally
assumed based on redshift = distance. It is still the case that quasars
evolve to galaxies. The larger galaxies are older in this theory and we
do find support for this from the fact that the larger members of
clusters generally are slightly bluer than the average member. In
standard cosmology this is unexpected because if anything the larger
galaxies would be more massive and possibly have a small gravitational
redshift.

To come back to the original topic - quasars with no host galaxy are the
earliest stage when they have just been ejected from a galaxy, and when
they have the highest internal redshift.

--
Ray Tomes
http://ray.tomes.biz/