Old January 15th 20, 02:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 In Flight Abort Test

On 2020-01-14 07:04, Jeff Findley wrote:
I'm sure this will be
live-streamed by people like @EverydayAstronaut

Wouldn't SpaceX live stream it? I would expect nothing less than views
from many on-board cameras. A good disaster movie :-)

I assume SpaceX will have a feed. But as I recall @EverydayAstronaut often
has better commentary.

I take it the ejection will happen at MaxQ? At that altitude, can
aircraft assets film the event?

Yes, it will happen at MaxQ.

Will Stage1 come back to land?

Only if any pieces wash up on shore.

What is the impact on Stage1 upon Dragon2 popping out? Is it a
survivable event where Stage1 could cut off engines, start falling and
then aim for the drone ship?

No, this is expected to be a "rapid scheduled disassembly event".

If "firing in the whole" (not really) doesn't break it up, atmospheric
disturbances will.

And if it survives that, hitting the water will ensure an RSDE.

Or does separation happening in "thick" atmosphere result in Stage1
hitting atmosphere in the wrong angle and causing breakup and fireworks?

Or are they actually going to detonate Stage1 prior to the abort and
also test the software/sensors that will automatically trigger the
Dragon abort?

No. We've been over this.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/