Old June 27th 18, 02:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Towards routine, reusable space launch.

In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 7:29:31 AM UTC-4, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

So virtual thing made of unobtainium and which has elements without any
mass.

I see you didn't comprehend what you're reading. Try again. Note in
the above quote that the "heavy tether of circular cross-section" is
modeled "as a set of massive points". These points, that have mass, are
"connected by massless viscoelastic bars"

Since the material is still theoretical, it would be hard to estimate
the tether cross-section.

What might it be? 1/16"? 1/8"? 1/4"? Or thinner or thicker?

Yes there are assumptions in the analysis. But then again, this entire
thought experiment is theoretical. It will surely be decades before a
space elevator is built, if ever.

Jeff