Old June 16th 07, 12:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Scott Miller

Default Brown Dwarfs ???

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Scott Brown is kind of close to the color red.,so can I think of a
brown dwarf evolving in time from a red dwarf? I 'm not confusing them
with a "real" red dwarf that can shine for a longer period than the Sun.
It is written it would take the mass of 80 Jupiters to create a core
that would light the fire of fusion bert

When is a red dwarf not a red dwarf. We are very precise in our
language in science, so saying that a brown dwarf evolved from a red
dwarf that is not a real red dwarf makes no sense.

A red dwarf maintains nuclear fusion in its core, a brown dwarf does
not. The transition between one or the other is in the amount of mass
each has to create the conditions in the core for fusion to either begin
and be sustained, or possibly begin and stop, if begin at all.