Old March 17th 04, 03:50 PM
Uddo Graaf

Default Sedna, space probes?, colonies? what's next?

"TKalbfus" wrote in message
I find it interesting that Sedna was discovered near its closest point in

its
10,500 year orbit around the Sun. What are the chances of that happening?

If
you only consider the planet Sedna, the chances of discovering it while it

is
near is closest point to the Sun are very small. Sedna spends most of its

time
further away, this leads to the question how many other "Sedna's" are

there?
What if we looked for a 10th planet 1000 years ago with the same

technology we
have today? Would we find another Sedna-like planet nearing its closest

point
to the sun. Sedna will spend 150 closer to the Sun than from where we
discovered it. statistically this leaves room for about 60 planets in

10,000
year orbits around the sun. all those planets are potential colonies for

future
colonists. The ones further away will be harder to find, but I'm sure we

can
eventually discover them.

Colonies that far away from the Sun? Unlikely. Mankind can multiply like
rabbits and it would still take at least 300 years to fill up the inner
planets and moons. Sedna or its denizen's aren't likely candidates for
colonization and when they are, mankind will probably have developed FTL
(faster than light) propulsion and reach for planets beyond our solar
system.