Old March 17th 04, 02:34 AM
Joe Strout

Default Sedna, space probes?, colonies? what's next?

In article ,
"jacob navia" wrote:

"Hobbs aka McDaniel" a écrit dans le message de
om...
(TKalbfus) wrote in message

We haven't even colonized the moon outside of sci-fi so it's a bit
premature to view Sedna as some kind of development property

Besides, who would like to live in perpetual
darkness?

People with a mastery of artificial lighting, I suppose.

I mean from there the sun is just a slightly brighter
star.

So? Where I am at the moment, the Sun isn't even as bright as a visible
star; in fact it's clear around on the other side of a rather large
rocky planet. Yet I still manage to waste time in Usenet.

Probably we will make homes in space, and I bet most of
the construction industry will be space based by the end
of this century. All around the earth orbit there is a lot
of real-estate. Millions of cubic Km of place where we
can grow plants, and live from the food that we grow from
the sun.

All true, but you can grow food perfectly well under artificial lights
too. (Even if we assume that people colonizing the Kuiper belt still
have need of food, which seems unlikely.)

Weather is exactly like the earth since the
orbit is more or less the same.

Weather in a space colony has nothing to do with its orbit.

But there?

In perpetual darkness forever?

Doesn't look like a very exciting place to build a home.

Well, don't then. There are billions of people already, with wildly
varying opinions on things. I, for example, would be perfectly content
there, given a secure supply of energy and raw materials (and technology
sufficiently advanced to make use of it).

Best,
- Joe

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |

http://www.macwebdir.com |