Old March 21st 06, 06:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy

Default Moonbase Power

Brad Guth ) wrote:
: SEN,
: For such a thoughtful and meaningful topic, I see that these Usenet
: rusemasters don't give a hoot about your thoughts or much less about
: the truth.

: It's clear as another cold-war 'chapel bell' transponder that our moon
: and especially of LL-1 are actually taboo/nondisclosure topics that
: can't allow anything in that's capable of rocking their NASA/Apollo
: good ship LOLLIPOP.

Yeah, that's right, we want to give Guth enough nuclear power to save
mankind. How long would it take for him to sell it after he realizes he is
clueless on how to use it? And who would he sell it too?

: I see nothing the least bit wrong with going nuclear, other than having
: to deal with the primary plus secondary IR situation making the likes
: of daytime heat-exchanging somewhat iffy, unless you're established at
: either pole where you'll have a fully shaded zone to work within, or
: having access to a hollow rille that'll get the heat transfer into
: spec. Obviously lunar nighttime and/or via earthshine should be nearly
: ideal for such a nuclear power plant. However, getting such tonnage
: safely onto the deck is still being R&D and frequently revised via
: infomercial-science and a good deal of their conditional laws of
: physics so that it doesn't make their NASA/Apollo fiasco/ruse look any
: worse off than it already is.

We'll be lucky to get an RTG for use with the next "super" rover going to
Mars.

: Obviously smaller commercial nuclear power units, other than plutonium
: battery cells, are of what's becoming a reliable standard. All that we
: need now are those viable fly-by-rocket landers that can manage
: whatever a C-130 can, except for getting that tonnage safely on the
: moon with lots of spare rocket fuel just in case their unmanned (aka
: robotic) down-range isn't managed quite as well as planned. (it
: wouldn't be such a good thing if it sank out of sight or merely
: impacted like all of our previous efforts)

Didn't the leak part of the battery in Antarctica bother you a little?

Eric

: What's the proposed deployed mass (including landing platform and/or
: protective packaging extras) of that semi-portable 4S/10MW unit?

: What's the best mass ratio of such tonnage per nuclear MW?
: -
: Brad Guth