Old July 7th 04, 07:27 AM
William R. Thompson

Default Fast Flashing 2004-021B

Alexander Avtanski wrote:

William R. Thompson wrote:
[ ... ]
I spotted it again less than an hour ago, in clear skies. The
flashing is still impressive.

I saw it yesterday and could not detect any flashing. I'll
try again when I have a favorable pass a couple of days from
now.

Lately it's started to make two nightly passes for my location.
The first is almost overhead; the flashing is hard to detect then,
until it's well past its apex.

The second pass is made about two hours before dawn, with the bird
fairly low in the west. Then the flashing is much easier to
observe. I think that 04021B is in a flat spin, so that when
it's overhead its apparent surface area doesn't change much, but
from an angle the geometry changes from end to side.

--Bill Thompson