Old December 25th 05, 04:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Sad Christmas Story

I used to believe in evolution, basically because in grade school and high
school and college that's all I was taught. Because that's what is
displayed in museums as though it is a proven fact. Theistic evolution
attempts to say that both the Bible and evolution are true, that God used
evolution to bring about life as we know it. I tried to believe that, too,
for a while, but the two systems won't mesh.

Nowhere in the Genesis account is there room for long ages of time. In
fact, on the other hand, each day of creation is clearly delineated as a day
with an "evening and a morning." I also point out that vegetation was
created on the third day, before the Sun, Moon and stars on the fourth day.
If the days were long ages, the plants would have died without light on the
night of day three!

Against my better judgment I'm going to jump in here. On what basis do
you assume that the story is in any way literal? How could you possibly,
since the story contradicts itself, and there are two different time
lines given in chapter one and chapter two? When were women created,
before or after plants and animals? The story cannot be reconciled to
itself without interpretation. Once you choose one version over the
other, the story cannot be literally correct in both cases. And if you
choose to say that one version is metaphoric, you must admit the
possibility that both versions are.

I also point out that evolution requires death, and random, violent death at
that. Yet Genesis explicitly says the results of each creation day were
good or very good. Random, violent, continuing death over billions of years
does not fit with this good, ordered creation of a loving God. In fact,
death only came into the world only after Adam brought sin into the world
(Romans 5:12, I Corinthians 15:21). Thinking on these distinctions, and
many others, lead me to turn away from theistic evolution, and then
evolution.

There is no reason to suspect that Adam brought death into the world for
anyone other than Adam and his descendants. The animals and plants that
the Lord gave him to eat - they were going to continue living after he
consumed them? Or if you say that death itself is evil, then why the
Lord's insistence on sacrifices of animals? Why should he prefer them to
sacrifices of plants?

And if you honestly believe that the Lord who created the world is
capable of such duplicity as to mislead us by making things like
radiometric dating incorrect, you'd have made a better Manichean than a
Christian. The Lord is just, not capricious.

Books like Henry M. Morris' Genesis Record, Walter Brown's In the Beginning
(found on the web at www.creationscience.com/), or Lee Strobel's Case for
Creation do an excellent job of showing that evolution and biblical
creation are two distinct models for the world and how it came about. In
fact, the only two.

Horse apples and hubris.