Old March 21st 07, 12:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Joe Strout

Default Falcon Sir Lauch-A-Lot?

In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:

Well, if nothing else, it's showing the on-time launch reliability
demonstrated by the Shuttle in a privately funded booster.

To be fair, they said right up front that multiple aborts were likely,
given the extremely numerous (and probably erring on the side of
paranoid) safety checks added since last year. It's not surprising if
it takes a few tries to shake out all the unintended consequences.

I still don't think that pre-launch test firing of a engine with an
ablative combustion chamber lining is a good idea.

I can see your point. But presumably you know how much it's going to
ablate in the test, and how much you safely need for the real launch,
right?

Best,
- Joe