Old August 2nd 03, 04:53 PM
Shankar Bhattacharyya

Default Rookie question. How dark is MY sky?

(Tony Flanders) wrote in
:

(justbeats) wrote in message
om...

At 77 metres I
know getting higher will improve seeing (less air) ...

Nah, the difference between 77 meters and the highest point in
the U.K. isn't all that significant -- certainly not worth
travelling for. Besides, lugging a 10" LX 200 to the top
of Ben Nevis isn't my idea of fun. I can't think of any
roads in the U.K. that go very high at all.

Ben Nevis is a molehill.

My father, who walked and bicycled over a good bit of the UK in his
student days, says it has a certain dramatic, spare beauty and is well
worth a visit. Still, it is a molehill.

Now if you were talking about the Alps, that might be a
different matter ...

- Shankar (who wonders whether he has any prospect at all of getting
himself into the sort of shape that might make plausible a trip to
Mansarovar, at the foot of Mt. Kailash, in south-western Tibet. Those
two have a powerful, romantic grip on the Hindu mind, even to
essentially areligious people
..)