Old March 3rd 14, 08:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: Abell 81 the northern most Abell planetary nebula

Rick,

that's a neat little ring with some nice structure. It is on my list, maybe
next summer...

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

IC 1454/Abell 81 is the northernmost of the Abell planetary nebula
located in Cepheus only 9.56 degrees from the pole. There's a wide
range of distance values for this one. I'll go with the one at
http://www.astronomy-mall.com/Advent...e/abellcat.htm
which puts it a bit over 17,000 light-years away.

It is about 38" of arc across. Catalogs list it at 14 and 15th
magnitude with an 18.8 magnitude central star. Other than this I can't
find much on it. Even less on the field. Only a few of the galaxies
are in NED, none have much data let alone redshift data. Thus I didn't
prepare an annotated image. This lack of data is common for far
northern objects.

14" LX 200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net