Old June 8th 15, 10:05 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default Airbus - reusable space launcher

On 6/7/15 4:13 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote :
Alain Fournier wrote:

I'm sorry I don't have an English site for this but Airbus is planing on
a space launcher with reusable engines. After separating from the second
stage, the first stage would jettison its tanks and fly back the engine
module.

http://www.usinenouvelle.com/article...spacex.N333885

I prefer the SpaceX approach. But I still think this is cool.

Once SpaceX seriously started working at it, everyone wants to jump on
board.

Yes.

http://www.21stcentech.com/airbus-pl...cket-launcher/

http://spacenews.com/meet-adeline-ai...spacex-rocket/

Note that it's seeking government investment and it needs 10 years
after that investment is available.

I didn't see anywhere mentioned that they were seeking government
investment. I also thought that their time frame is quite long.
Specially since they have already been working on this for several years.

And as I said, I think that the SpaceX approach of returning the whole
first stage is superior. So I think they will have an inferior vehicle
ten years after SpaceX. Nonetheless I still think it is cool that they
are doing this.

Alain Fournier