Old March 1st 05, 09:52 PM
OM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:08:04 -0600, Damon Hill
wrote:

That means additional Shuttle missions beyond ISS
assembly/service, and beyond 2010. Is that really going
to happen? (My guess is that Shuttle will fly somewhat
beyond then, barring another loss of vehicle.)

....Don't be surprised if Shuttle's life is extended beyond 2010. I
figure that, following the tile goo tests on the next two flights,
someone at NASA will develop a way to fix the stuff so tile repairs
are possible. I predict an extension to 2015, just to give the CEV
teams a bit more breathing room.

JWST isn't an exact replacement of course, but unless there's
real support for Hubble and replacement(s), we're going to
have to live with some loss of coverage.

....The problem there is that the design of JWST is flawed in the fact
that it's not intended to work in the visible spectrum, which is where
the "holy ****!!!" pictures are truly born than catch the attention of
Joe Punchclock, Ethyl Soapsjunkie and Hipster Treehugger and make them
go "holy ****!!!' and for a brief time get addicted enough to know
full well you don't **** with your pusher and they should quit
bitching about their tax dollars going to NASA.

It's an imperfect world.

....And its defeatest attitudes like this which allow things like
Hubble and Skylab to fall from the sky when they're still salvageable.
Just because it's an imperfect world doesn't mean we should accept it
and allow it to **** things up. We should fight to *improve* those
perfections, especially if it flies in the face of those who prefer to
allow those imperfections to limit their lives.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr