Old April 30th 17, 08:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default L.I.F.E.

On 2017-04-29 23:10, Fred J. McCall wrote:

What if a herd of unicorns come through and **** magic pixie dust all
over everything? How can you think anything adapted to Martian
conditions with no common biology and no evolution against anything
remotely like a human host could possibly affect our biology?

So a "thing" on Mars has evolved without salt. If it hasnt been exposed
to salt, nobody knows what happens if it is.

Of course we do. It won't do anything with salt, since there isn't
any in its environment. So at worst it will ignore salt.

Say this "thing" gets into your blood, finds out that it loves salt and
start to metabolize any/all salt it can find and grows much faster.

By what mechanism would it have come to 'love salt', since there isn't
any in the environment it evolved in? You've been watching too much
bad science fiction.

Say this thing is a "reverse plant" when it eats O2 and Carbon and
throws out CO2. It would go nuts in our forests and turn Earth into Mars
by converting all plant life to CO2.

Why would something like that develop in an environment with
practically no free oxygen? Are you starting to see a trend here?
Organisms don't develop metabolisms to use things that are not in
their environment. You might as well postulate "What if we find
unicorns that **** magic dust?"

Besides, in case you weren't aware, WE are 'reverse plants', as are
pretty much most animals above the unicellular level.

I know this is mostly "fantasy".

'Most'? You're the master of understatement. It is ALL fantasy and
not even good fantasy.

But you are the one claiming there is
absolutely no risk without being able to prove it.

While you are the one claiming biology is not a science but rather is
'magical' and critters with magical uses for things that don't exist
in the environment they evolved in will somehow (magically) evolve.

There is evidence Mars usedto be very different. It is possible that
some form of life was created and managed to evolve as fast as Mars
morphed into its current state. (or lays dormant somewhere).

Nothing is going to 'lie dormant' for several billion years. Again,
there is no magic.

So the risk is different from the moon which never had atmosphere or
tempered weather.

Why? You're postulating PFM on Mars. Why not on the Moon?

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine