Old May 15th 05, 12:49 PM
Elroy Willis

Odysseus wrote in alt.astronomy

Elroy Willis wrote:

I'm looking for any ancient diagrams in Greek which are similar to the
following diagram.

http://www.elroysemporium.com/jpg/cosmology1.jpg

I'm interested to look at ones that use the Greek names for the
planets instead of the Latin or Roman names.

Are there some that show IOVIS/JOVE as Zeus, and Mercury as
Hermes, and Venus as Aphrodite, etc?

I doubt you'll find any ancient ones. Very few originals, or even
direct copies, of classical or Hellenistic Greek scientific works (or
proto-scientific, if you prefer) exist; almost all have come down to
us through Arabic translations. You might find some such diagrams in
Greek manuscripts from the early-mediaeval or Byzantine periods, but
many of those will have derived from Arabic versions as well.

I thought there might be some ancient original stone tablets or some
type of untranslated artifacts that have been found, but I've never
seen any.

I'm told that the modern Greek names for the planets are indeed those
of the classical gods corresponding to the Latin names used in
English and most other European languages, if that's what you're
hoping to ascertain.

I was looking to go back further than that, to find diagrams or
artifacts where Jupiter is called Zeus, Saturn is called Chronos, etc.

--
Elroy Willis
www.elroysemporium.com