Old September 22nd 04, 04:38 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-09-22, Jud McCranie wrote:
On 21 Sep 2004 19:33:48 -0700, (Allen Thomson)
wrote:

Interesting. Note large turn-around at north end, the long length, and
the tow-out path at the south.

About 15 years ago I knew an officer in the USAF who said that shuttle
launches were made from Vandenberg. I think there were plans to do
that, but none have been launched from there right?

The first planned launch was in mid-late 1986, by Discovery; it was
still slipping at the time of Challenger, and a decision was made not to
ship Discovery over to California for preparation... the program was
cancelled sometime thereafter, having not progressed further.

Enterprise was stacked at Vandenberg in 85/86, though, to test the
facilities; he may have been thinking of this.

--
-Andrew Gray