Old September 22nd 04, 06:51 AM
Rusty Barton

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:35:43 -0700, Rusty Barton
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:59:13 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

On 21 Sep 2004 19:33:48 -0700, (Allen Thomson)
wrote:

Interesting. Note large turn-around at north end, the long length, and
the tow-out path at the south.

About 15 years ago I knew an officer in the USAF who said that shuttle
launches were made from Vandenberg. I think there were plans to do
that, but none have been launched from there right?

They didn't launch a shuttle from Vandenberg AFB, but they did erect
the shuttle Enterprise on the SLC-6 launch pad for a fit check in
1985.

For some great pictures of the Enterprise at Vandenberg, look at these
web pages:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/Jacqmans...prisevafb.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc6a.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc6.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc62.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc63.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc64.html

http://www.spaceistheplace.ca/vanden01.jpg

Here's info about the SLC-6 Vandenberg launch site;

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...oct/sloan.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/.../sts_slc-6.htm

The shuttle Discovery was also transported to Vandenberg in 1983 for
a various fit checks.

More pictures of Enterprise at Vandenberg SLC-6:

http://www.cloudster.com/RealHardware/Slc6/SLC-6Top.htm

http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers...enterprise.jpg

http://www.cloudster.com/RealHardware/Slc6/SLC608.jpg

http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers...%20shuttle.jpg