Old October 24th 18, 05:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default social media sources of amateur astronomy news; are there any?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 10:22:30 -0700 (PDT), walter lebowitz jr
wrote:

Are there any Twitter or other social media accounts worth following for one interested in: 1) rapid notification of new comet discoveries or outbursts of known objects; 2) rapid notification of new Earth-approaching minor planet discoveries; 3) rapid notification of new extragalactic supernovae discoveries; 4) news pertaining to forthcoming meteor showers?

For 1) above, I previously used the website of the Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams, but it seems that many of that website's pages are no longer updated with any regularity. For 2) I sometimes check the Minor Planet Center's Near-Earth Object Confirmation page but it would be preferable to have the 25-30th magnitude objects filtered out. For 4) I previously referred to the meteorobs mailing list archives website, but that site seems to have suffered an untimely demise a couple of years ago.

I am interested in intermediate to advanced amateur-level information (something beyond which Astronomy Magazine of Sky & Telescope would provide).

Thanks, Walter Lebowitz Jr

http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/ which also has Twitter and FB
hooks.

CBAT remains the standard active source for most reports, but much of
its content is only available via subscription.