Old February 9th 16, 05:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Status Last EVA Drowning Incident?

In article ,
says...

wrote in message news

A few weeks ago I heard in my local radio that an ISS EVA had to be
aborted because there again was water in the helmet. I found a report
that it was the same NASA suite that almost killed the Italian ESA
astronaut a year ago. This time they saw an unusual large water bubble
in the helmet and immediately aborted the EVA. But what was the
amount later found in the suite?

I had not heard this.

There is now an absorbant pad in the US helmets. One astronaut reported
that the pad felt wet, so the EVA was aborted.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/new...lk-water-leak-
ends.html

In the first incident they noted an unexpected amount of water in the
helmet and the astronaut went alone back in the station. But on the
way back it got much worse. The water went over his face, took his
visibility and cut the in and out radio link. Just with his hands
and a cool mind he found the way back.

The other astronaut later much regretted that he not went with his
ESA friend the way back. But nobody could vision then that it
could get such worse. This time they did know. How much water
went free? Was it a stuck sieve like last time? Was the root
cause of the last investigation still valid? It is a suite design
from the 1980s and should be known very well by now.

This doesn't sound accurate. My understanding is that both astronauts
aborted the EVA and in fact the policy is to not close the outer airlock
door unless both astronauts are inside (in case something starts to happen
to the second astronaut).

Agreed. When NASA ends an EVA, both astronauts head back to the airlock
together.

I wonder why so less is reported. Nothing here and I even saw nothing
on NASA Watch. But this is a serious issue.

You're kidding right? It was "all over" the news, IMHO.

US news outlets
http://www.usnews.com/news/science/n...01-15/britain-
gets-1st-spacewalker-station-power-grid-needs-fixed

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/helmet-l...-end-to-space-
station-outing/

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...tain-gets-1st-
spacewalker-station-power-grid-6761067.php

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...ronaut-helmet-
flooded/

http://news.discovery.com/space/spac...ak-cuts-short-
spacewalk-160115.htm

UK news outlets
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35328281

https://www.theguardian.com/science/.../15/tim-peake-
spacewalk-iss-first-time-live

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...229/Tim-Peake-
spacewalk-LIVE-Britains-first-official-astronaut-takes-toothbrush-in-
case-of-emergency.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete.../Just-popping-
walk-Tim-Peake-prepares-make-historic-spacewalk-repair-faulty-power-
unit-space-station.html

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/15/watch-...-on-his-first-
iss-space-walk-5625061/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...m-peake-watch-