Old January 23rd 08, 03:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default NGC 7331 et al.

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Beautiful image Rick!! There's even some really tiny background galaxies
sprinkled throughout the image.

. Trying to ID the galaxies in this group I
found several NGC objects that were just single or double stars though
some versions of the NGC have assigned their numbers to other galaxies
in the group that didn't make the NGC. Makes it all very confusing.......

On the NGC/IC Project website the NGC errors notes cover this area
extensively. Most of these galaxies ended up in the NGC from 19th Century
contests on who could find the most fuzzies. This group was discovered by a
guy using a 15-inch doublet refractor and I guess he got a little too
"creative" with his list of nebulae. Last October a friend and I spent about
20 minutes going for this group with my Obsession 20 from a very dark
location (PA's Cherry Springs 'dark sky' State Park) and we were able to get
all of them (plus the nearby Quintet also) but I could see how someone
working with poorer optics could mistake some of the double stars in the
area as 'fuzzies'.

George N