Old July 2nd 19, 02:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Orion Max Q abort test

After having skimmed the article, it'd be more fair to characterize this
test as a test of the SLS/Orion Launch Abort System (LAS) minus the
Orion capsule.

Test recorders were placed abort a "test vehicle" designed to duplicate
the Orion capsule on the outside but minus anything on the inside except
for data recorders which are to be ejected during post abort free fall.
The test article has no parachutes and was designed to free fall into
the ocean and not be recoverable only the data recorders.

The objective of the test is to characterize the performance of the LAS
under load conditions similar to what would be experienced by SLS/Orion
at near MAX Q.

IMHO: I'd characterize it as kind of a piece-wise method of testing
rather than an "all-up" scenario. Given the cost of SLS I can understand
the approach. Understand doesn't necessarily mean I agree. I'd need more
data.

Dave