Old September 24th 11, 07:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

Default Sadness

"jacob navia" wrote in message

And all that came in
a second, when I saw Amstrong and Cernan with their hair all white
(as mine) plead for returning to space, keeping on that dream.

"Dreams are well but Waking's better,
If One wake at Morn
If One wake at Midnight better
Dreaming of the Dawn"

There are two ways of looking at the space program.
The way it is, or what it could become.

It could provide the long term solution to the global
energy future. And end wars over oil.
It could become the primary solution to climate change.
It could bring prosperity and opportunity to billions in
the third world, and end world hunger.

It could transform humanity from barbaric, to civilized
once and for all.

The largest industry in the world is food, followed closely
by energy. And a quarter of the food produced spoils
for a lack of energy. All it takes is to figure out how in
the world the space program can become directly connected
to those industries and needs

Space Solar Power is no pipe-dream, colonies on Mars
and mining asteroids are pipe-dreams which provide little
hope for a better future. Nothing approaching the possibilities
of an entirely clean energy source which can /travel/ to the
ends of the Earth, reaching all those people currently
left behind, where conventional power will never reach.

Because of the ability of Space Solar Power to reach
anywhere including thinly populated areas, SSP would be
every bit as big an advance as AC power was over DC.

For billions it would be the difference between electricity
and the Internet, or nothing, and remaining in stone age
poverty.

All that, and our space program badly needs new inspiration
and direction.

You may feel sad at the current state of affairs, I see a
space program which only just now has a rare and
magnificent opportunity to Save the World from itself
yet again.

I truly believe that day will soon come true.

These guys feel the same way, and they represent
the best and brightest in their field.

Space Energy Inc.
http://spaceenergy.com/

"But how shall finished Creatures