Old September 23rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default (Poll) Space Tourism

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:36:39 -0400, in a place far, far away, John Doe
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as
to indicate that:

-- wrote:
That Virgin Galactic crap? Where you don't even get into orbit? Where you
are only weightless for five minutes? I'd pay $50 for that if it were at a
theme park... where it belongs.

I wouldn't call it "crap". It is still an experience worth taking. It is
a thrill ride which I would classify along with bungee jumping or
parachuting or maybe like climbing the sydney harbour bridge. Not
something I would refuse to do.

However, it doesn't even come close to the experience in the Soyuz,
mostly because it lacks all the training, and living in Moscow for a
while, visiting Star City as well as Baikonur, meeting real astronauts,
doing all the pre-requisite exercises, and I assume the wilderness
survival tests (when landing on the Soyuz).

I never fail to be amused at fools who mistake their own preferences
for the market.