Old August 3rd 05, 04:45 AM
William Hamblen

On 2005-08-02, Ducky wrote:
I will be getting my first telescope soon. It will be an Orion SkyQuest
XT8 Dobsonian. I have ordered a shorty+ barlow in addition to the
included eyepieces. I’m thinking this telescope might also be useful for
casual terrestrial observations as I have a very nice view from my
terrace. A refractor is probably the best solution for this, but I am
not planning to get one anytime soon. So, I was wondering, is there any
usable solution to get an upright image in this telescope?

The usual image erectors won't work because you don't have enough back
focus. You could lie on your back and look up into the eyepiece, but
that is a little awkward. Newtonians aren't much good as terrestrial
telescopes: stray daylight reduces contrast and the magnification is way
too much. A pair of seven power binoculars or a regular spotting scope
(if more magnification is wanted) is better for daytime use.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.