Old October 2nd 17, 05:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy[_2_]

Default Is Elon Musk ready for the straitjacket ?

StarDust wrote in
:

All cars are like that! On gasoline cars the EPA estimate all
ways higher, because it was tested under ideal conditions.

That is apparently, not universally the case any more. I can't speak
for any other models, but my Corolla, bought new in January, had
highway mileage on the sticker of 36 mpg, but on the open road, I get
38-40, depending on how hilly it is. I've seen it as high as 42. It's
not much over 6k miles so far, but it hasn't gone down at all that
I've seen.

After
the car is driven 5-10K miles, gas/millage settles at some what
lower. I think, for electric cars as time goes by performance of
the batteries goes down too. With electric cars, if it breaks
down, I don't think there's a mechanic at every corner, who can
fix it.

Right now, cars are being sold with pretty comprehensive warranties,
which means you'd be a fool to take it anywhere but the dealership
for servicing. But I suspect that independant mechanics will surprise
you. The basic skills are the same as any other car. The only
differences are in the details, and there are *way* too many models
for *any* mechcanic to memorize the details for all of them. That's
why they have manuals with detailed instructions. The real key is
whether or not they have the diagnostic software for a particular
model.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland: