Old June 28th 19, 12:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Commercial Crew

In article ,
says...

Say the stack explodes violenty.

The kerosene and LOX will burn, but there won't technically be an
explosion because the kerosene and LOX will not much have time to mix
before burning.

On the pad, assuming capsule ejects at same time, one would hope that
its speed would at least match that of debris flying towards it so that
debris won't damage capsule. Right?

The escape system on any capsule is designed to keep the capsule ahead
of any debris. You design for the "worst case scenario". Which for
capsules, would be Orion's abort motor which has to be able to pull it
away from a five segment SRB that's had a case rupture. This is a far
worse scenario than any liquid fueled launch vehicle incident.

After launch, would Max-W be the safest time from a debris point of view
because this is where debris would be slowed the most? Or would the
capsule eject at an equally slower speed and the risk is the same?

WTF is "Max-W"?

Just curious if Max-Q is the most difficult/dangerous ejection solely
from the point of view of debris from explosion underneat hitting capsule?

Max-Q is difficult because the abort system has to "fight" the maximum
aerodynamic pressure which causes drag on the capsule. Max-Q difficulty
has nothing to do with the debris from the breakup of the booster
underneath.

Jeff