Old June 28th 19, 12:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Commercial Crew

In article ,
lid says...

On 19-06-27 13:55 , Jeff Findley wrote:

The [SpaceX Dragon-2] abort test will reportedly use an actual fueled
upper stage but no flight worthy Merlin vacuum engine.

Do you have a link/reference for that? The descriptions I've found say
no upper stage, and only three Merlins on the first stage.

This isn't a very recent article, but it's based on a document submitted
to the FAA for the test, so I'm betting it's as accurate as we're going
to get before the actual test.

How SpaceX Will Conduct an Inflight Abort Test for Crew Dragon
November 28, 2018 Doug Messier
http://www.parabolicarc.com/2018/11/...duct-inflight-
abort-test-crew-dragon/

From above (which I believe are excerpts from the document submitted to
the FAA:

The booster would include nine M1D engines and be configured to
perform an ascent abort shutdown. Each engine is propelled by
liquid oxygen (LOX) and rocket fuel (RP-1; highly refined form
of kerosene) and produces 190,000 pounds of thrust at sea level
(for a total of 1.71 million pounds of thrust from all nine
engines). The booster would carry the standard set of flight
instrumentation.

The second stage would be a standard Falcon 9 second stage,
with the exception of the M1D vacuum engine. The components
essential to propellant loading operations would be carried,
but the thrust chamber, turbopump, thrust vector control
actuators, and other components required for performing second
stage burns, would be omitted, as the mission concludes part-
way through the first stage ascent burn. Propellant loading
would follow standard loading operations for the second stage.

So, this sounds like a very high fidelity test. Very little would be
different from this Falcon 9 and a Falcon 9 used to launch Dragon 2 to
ISS.

Jeff