Old June 27th 19, 11:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Commercial Crew

In article ,
says...

Dragon had a failure in a critical system which prevents the test of
this critical system (abort in flight).

Starliner hasn't had any failures because it is behind and hasn't even
had unmanned test.

Starliner has had its share of issues. Notably, during a ground test of
its abort system, Starliner experienced leaks of hypergolic propellant.
This necessitated some redesigns in the valves/plumbing, if memory
serves.

Assuming SpaceX has found the cause and knows how to fix it, Dragon
could be back in business and still be quite ahead. SpaceX appears have
a new policy of not letting Musk say much, so I don't know that one can
derive a conclusion from lack of news.

When Boeing starts its tests, it could work flawlessly or not. We have
to wait. Will they also have a max-Q abort test?

No. Only SpaceX elected to do a max-Q abort test. Boeing will "prove"
their abort system will work at max-Q via extensive computer analysis.
I personally don't agree with this approach, but that's what Boeing bid
and NASA accepted.

That would seem to require at least 2 test flights right?

Nope.

Jeff