Old August 9th 11, 04:42 AM posted to alt.disasters.misc,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes
E.D.G.

Default Earthquake Web Site - Aug 6, 2011

"Brad Guth" wrote in message

Public funded agencies are in a fight for their lives, so that pretty much
anything goes as long as only they get the credit for all the good stuff,
and thereby receive all of the public loot they can grab, because
otherwise they are unemployable. Clearly you are a threat to that outcome
where they win and the likes of outsiders always lose.

Posted by E.D.G. August 8, 2011

If there are any government agencies or other public agencies that
are opposed to the work that I am doing then in my opinion they are making a
major mistake. I have always been very strongly supportive of governments
providing funding for their own agencies and also for outside groups that
work on projects that intended to help solve or at least attempt to manage
problems that threaten the lives and health of people around the world.

One of the major problems here is that because of their fear of
criticism or controversy, people running government agencies are often so
conservative with regard to what they are willing to do that they enter into
a state of paralysis. And their already existing funding can eventually get
cut because their superiors don't see that any progress is being made.

A good way to get those government agencies moving is to demonstrate
at some public Web site etc. that effective progress can be made with some
life threatening problem such as forecasting earthquakes, without
frightening the general public. Government agency personnel can then go to
their superiors and say, "If the people running that Web site can do that
type of work without causing problem then you should allow Us to do that
same type of work." And with luck their bosses will then give them both
approval and some additional funding.

So, a major goal of this proposed new Web site would be to
demonstrate to various government agencies around the world how they can do
earthquake forecasting research etc. without getting into political hot
water.

These are personal opinions.