Old July 22nd 03, 03:38 PM
Al

Default LPR filters

"Søren Kjærsgaard" wrote in message
k...
Short and simple: Do they work?
The idea sounds pretty much ok, and since I live in a moderate light
polluted area maybe I should go for one...
They're still quite expensive though, so any comments would be appreciated
:-)

clear skies
Søren K

Short and simple: NO!

I've never found a broadband filter that works well enough to justify its
cost. To be more to the point, I think broadband filters are a waste of
time, effort and money. On the other hand, narrowband filters work very
well, but ONLY from relatively light pollution free skies. If you live
under light polluted skies and are hoping to correct the situation with a
filter, you're in for a disappointment. Frankly, I don't know why some
manufacturers/dealers (such as Orion) call these filters "light pollution"
filters. The implication is that they will correct light pollution, which
they do not but maybe it helps sell the filter. Spend the money that you
would have spent on the filter for some fuel for you car to take you to
darker skies.

Al