Old February 19th 07, 07:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Ioannis

Default UFO question

"Jim Z" wrote in message
. net...

Hi,

This is a question for seasoned observers
regarding UFO's. NOT sci-fi alien encounters
and all that junk, rather strange objects you
have seen with no reasonable identification.
Hence unidentified. But have other plausable
causes.

I have had two strange observations in my
years as an amateur, both of which were
resolved.

[snip]

Anyone with similiar observations ?

I have seen a strange phenomenon only once when I was vacationing off Crete
when I was 18. I was sweeping the skies with my dad's 8x32 Zeiss binos, when I
saw a triangular formation of lights inside my field of view in the
constellation Lyra. It was three starlike lights, a white a green and a red,
arranged at the verices of a tiny equilateral triangle.

Initially the formation was motionless relative to my field of vew. It
resolved into a triangular formation only under 8x. Naked eye it was only a
star-like single light, around magnitude 3-4, so I figured it was probably
accidental that I picked it up using the binos, otherwise it could easily be
mistaken for a regular star.

I pinpointed the location without my binos and it was at about 60-70 degrees
from the northern horizon.

After about 10 minutes from my first spotting it, it started moving with
constant speed towards the horizon. I tracked it with the binos and saw it
cruise past some familar constellations, with a constant speed of a regular
earth satelite.

After about 5 minutes of cruising at constant speed, I started observing it
naked eye again to see how fast it was moving against the stars.

Then it suddently increased its speed and zoomed over down to the northern
horizon at some ridiculously high speed, like that of a fireball. It covered
the distance from 50 degrees north to disappearing below the horizon in less
than 1-2 seconds.

Its last fast movement I caught naked eye, since it was moving so fast I could
not possibly track it using binos.

Here's the object's speed relative to time:

first 10 minutes: stationary, in constellation of Lyra.
next 5 minutes: common earth satelite velocity.
next 1-2 seconds: 50 degrees in 1-2 seconds, disappearing in the horizon.

I have no idea what it was, then or now.

Jim

--
I.N. Galidakis
http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/